How to “Be Present” This Holiday Season

How to "Be Present" This Holiday Season

I’ve been fighting a rising sense of panic this fall. Maybe that’s an overstatement. (Me? Never!) But whenever I glance ahead at the calendar and the looming *gulp* holidays, I feel overwhelmed…and tired…already. This is not normal for me. I am an extrovert with an addiction to holiday decorations. I love big, messy, loud family and friend gatherings from Thanksgiving … [Read more...]

Protecting Our Fall Schedules

Protecting Our Fall Schedules

As school events, work events, sports, band, and dance practices are in full swing, I keep thinking about a situation that happened to my wife and me a couple years ago. One September day, my wife reached out to an old acquaintance to invite their family over for dinner. I had heard good things about their family, and I was excited to meet them. We knew that with 3 kids and … [Read more...]

Navigating the Hardest Season of Our Lives

rsz_pexels-photo

“Go ahead and give me my tissues now,” I joked to my girlfriends as we got our Kleenex out and made our predictions about what the ceremony would be like. I thought maybe I’d be a little emotional because we loved this bride and her family so much. But after the brutal season our life had just narrowly escaped, the tears were fresh and free-flowing. I literally began … [Read more...]

Time-Saving Ideas for Opening Your Home and Sharing Your Table with Others

Time-Saving Ideas for Opening Your Home and Sharing Your Table with Others

When you read articles and posts about couples who are carving out time in their busy family schedules to invite others over to their homes for a meal around their table, some of you are probably thinking, “I really want our family to be able to do this more often, but how? Who has this kind of time to not only find a free evening on the calendar to invite people over, but also … [Read more...]

MarriageRoots’ Low-Stress Christmas Guide [FREE Printable Checklist]

Christmas Checklist

Christmas is coming! If that statement sends a bit of excitement up your spine and then is immediately followed by a brief shudder of anxiety, then read on. Christmas is that unique time of year where Christian couples have an amazing opportunity—to fall into a trap. One of the biggest traps of the enemy in the modern Christmas-era is distracting and stressing out … [Read more...]

Questions I Ask Myself Before Speaking About My Husband

rsz_couple-love-water-summer

“I wish my husband was more like yours.” This is not meant to be boastful by any means, but I have actually received that compliment many times. My husband and I have often heard, “Y’all are the cutest,” or “Relationship goals: Be like Tyler and Nikita.” I’m going to be real—it feels good when people say that. I think my husband is awesome, and I’m glad other people do … [Read more...]

Taking Care of Our Health, Taking Care of Our Marriage

An Unorthodox Post on Fitness

Vince and Casie Smith have faced their share of battles during their courtship and marriage. An interracial couple and now church planters, they aren’t unfamiliar with tackling tough issues. But one of their battles cuts across all demographics—maintaining physical health and fitness, individually and as a couple. They share some of what they’ve learned with characteristic … [Read more...]

Missing Opportunities by Worrying

rsz_1tkt36m

The other day I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts, Urban Achiever. If you listened to alternative Christian music in the 90’s, then you should check out this great podcast hosted by Billy Power. In an interview with Mike Lewis, Mike talked about how he and his wife went on a mission trip to Africa. In his words, he said Africa landed on him. Because of the … [Read more...]

5 Things I Wish I’d Told Myself After My Miscarriage

5 Things I Wish I Could Have Told Myself After My Miscarriage

The time after my miscarriage was one of the most difficult seasons I’ve had to go through; here are five things I wish I could go back and tell myself: 1. Please don’t be mad at the friends and family who do not acknowledge your loss. Really, you have to let it go and move on. Do not hold on to the hurt and anger you feel. It will do you no good. Remember, six months … [Read more...]

How We Open Our Home and Share Our Table with Others

How We Open Our Home and Share Our Table with Others

When some of us read about other couples that are creating margin in their lives to open their homes and share their tables with other families regularly, it can feel overwhelming and daunting. Some of us didn’t grow up in families that had anyone over besides family, so this isn’t a habit we’ve made in your own homes. And with life as busy as it is for all of us, we don’t … [Read more...]