Let’s Talk About Porn (Resources)

In high school, college, and men’s bible studies, I’ve heard many a guy work up the nerve to confess that he’s been looking at some “stuff” and then trail off. All around the room heads will imperceptibly nod and then the topic changes. In accountability partnering, my wife has heard about the silent battles college girls fight against pornography. It’s a very real issue for many people—men and women, young, and old—but it’s an addiction that hides in the shadows.

Let's Talk About Porn

For the folks I know, a pornography addiction started small, and then the unhealthy lust grew. In the same way a drug addict needs a bigger dose to get his fix, so too does the person addicted to pornography. Literally. A Cambridge University study recently found that the brain scans of porn addicts looked exactly like those of drug addicts.

One time, a friend told me that 97% of guys had looked at pornography in college and the other 3% were liars. I don’t know where he got his numbers, but he’s probably pretty close to the truth. But pornography isn’t just a college guy problem. Pornography is a lust fantasy, and anyone and everyone can fall victim to fantasy.

The sad reality is that in our modern time, pornography affects everyone, either directly or indirectly. It is a heavy topic, and we’re just beginning to scratch the surface. We will cover it more in depth in the future—especially within the context of it affecting your marriage—but for now, for those of you who are silently struggling, we wanted you to know about these resources so you can get the help you need:

Celebrate Recovery: Many churches offer Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered recovery program for all areas of addiction. If you don’t have a close friend to walk alongside you, CR is a great way to find people who understand. Finding freedom from an addiction is not a road you should or have to walk alone. If your church does not have a CR, chances are there is one meeting at another church in your town or nearby.

Fight the New Drug: Think porn isn’t a big deal? Even non-Christians are concerned about the effects of pornography these days. Check out their “Get the Facts” section for current research on pornography’s ability to affect your brain, your heart, and the world.

XXX Church: An online resource for helping overcome porn addiction, X3 Church focuses on awareness, prevention, and recovery. Finding an accountability partner in real life is the best option, but X3 Church has great tools to supplement your freedom—filtering programs, workshops, and even one-on-one coaching.

Covenant Eyes: “I have made a covenant with my eyes.” –Job 31:1a (ESV). Covenant Eyes has filter programs for your computers and mobile devices. When you sign up, you add the email addresses of your accountability partners. Your accountability partner will receive emails monthly with your internet usage.

PornProof Kids: The average child sees porn for the first time between the ages of 7-13. Don’t be naïve and think your children won’t possibly be exposed to porn. YouTube and social media are just as dangerous as websites. PornProof Kids tries to equip parents with tools to start the porn conversation with their children.

Anne Marie Miller: Anne Marie Miller is the author of four books and often deals with sexuality, addiction, pornography, as well as Biblical themes of grace and restoration on her website. If you are a parent, take a minute to read her article 20 Resources to Educate and Equip Parents and Children about Pornography and Sex.

Women and Pornography: We can’t emphasize this enough: Pornography is not just a man’s problem. Dirty Girls Ministries focuses on ministering to women who are addicted to pornography. SingleRoots, our sister site, interviewed Crystal Renaud, the founder and director of WHOLE Women Ministries, and she offers not only words of Biblical truth, but words of healing and grace for women who are struggling to break free.

Freedom13: Locally, Freedom13 Ministries, started by Lindsey Crawford and located in north Louisiana, exists to serve men and women of all ages who long to be set free from sexual sin. They provide support, make presentations, and provide accountability partners for people dealing with sexual addiction. For more information, check them out on Facebook.

 

Do you know of any other pornography addiction resources or ministries?

Posts that are usually written by committee. It takes a village, you know. There's no "I" in team. Together Everyone Achieves More. We're no Lone Ranger Christians over here. (Insert any other teamwork cliche you can think of.)

Stay in the know!

Sign up to receive our Weekly Updates AND receive a free copy of "The Essential Christian Marriage Resource List :: 52 Things Every Couple Needs to Know About"

Trackbacks